Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Legend by Marie Lu

 (goodreads)


 I have kind of an unearthly obsession for dystopian novels. I gravitate towards them. Maybe I just have a sixth sense that starts pinging in the deep trenches of my brain; I don't know. And I LOVE them if they're done right, and let me tell you, Marie Lu did a lot of things right.

Legend is the first of a trilogy that tells the tale of  two fifteen-year-olds living in a broken country that was a part of the good ol' US of A. Day is a wanted outlaw; he's been terrorizing and tormenting the goverment a long time; blowing up goverment-owned vehicles, attacking military personnel, stealing money; he's kind of a Robin Hood for the people. Gives them hope and whatnot.

June, on the other hand, is a prodigy (lol) . She has been groomed to become a leading military official. She's rich, she's loved, and she's a little lonely with only her older brother for any actual company.
Day and June meet in the most peculiar of circumstances, and unravel some dark secrets.

What I LOVE...

The adventure. I love the fights, the escapes, the chases. It's exhilarating.  I love June as a female lead because she's analyzing things and kicking butt like nobody's business. I love the fact that June is a law abiding citizen turned rebel, and that both June and Day hold a deep meaning of family, and they learn to see past the stereotypes set by their respective social classes.

What I Don't Love as Much... 

I don't like how there is so little world-building.  I had so many questions while reading this novel,and although I understand that this is the first in a trilogy, there wasn't enough information to quench my thirst
It's kind of unbelievable that Day and June are such highly skilled fifteen-year-olds. Think about it.  Day has a bad knee, and he's untrained, yet he's able to out maneuver highly trained military personnel. June's been allowed to lead a mission to hunt down Day, yet she's a minor. Hmmm....

The Love Story! You knew it was coming. If there is one thing I despise, it's  a dose of insta-love in an other wise brilliant novel. So please, please, please don't make a romantic gesture when you've literally known each other for a week. It's annoying, and completely detracts from my enjoyment.

***

Other than that Marie Lu, weaved a tale that had me pouring through this novel; it seemed as if I could not have finished soon enough to move onto the next one.

Happy Reading,

Sidra

1 comment:

  1. OOoh nice review! I plan to read this one soon myself. Like in another week or two! Heard too many good things and I decide I can't pass it up anymore!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are most certainly loved and appreciated. They always make my day! So go ahead and let me know what you think. Go on. You know you wanna…

Maze Runner Trilogy by James Dashner

Goodreads I'm not even gonna hide the fact that I just picked these up so I can stay true to my whole "I would NEVER watch a bo...